Monday, January 06, 2014

Glorious frozen winter bubbles... tutorial included


Since we were basically housebound today I decided to recreate something we tried during our time in Alaska.
Okay, I admit it, it was something I tried while the boys were at school... but by the time they got home from school it was too cold and the bubbles froze before they even had a chance to form 
(35F BELOW zero has a tendency to do that!)
Since it was only a mere 15F BELOW zero today... in Indiana (yes we broke plenty of records)
I decided it was time to recreate our experiment!


The wind was blowing to hard so all bubble blowing occurred within the garage... 
with the 4 wheeler acting as our landing platform.







The "recipe" I used to make the bubble solution is a scaled down version of the one I used when I was a pre-school teacher long before the internet.  In my experience this solution makes for a strong bubble which can be blown to large proportions during the warmer seasons and allows for bubble blowing when it is quite chilly out.

1 1/2 cups water
1/4 + 1 Tbsp dish soap
(i used 1/4 Dawn Ultra plus a heaping Tbsp of Mrs Meyers.. its what I had on hand)
plus enough corn syrup to bring the level to just over the 2 cup line.

mix the above mixture.
use a large straw 
or a bubble wand 
(what i used in Alaska)
to blow the bubbles.

This worked for me and I hope it works for you!  
Enjoy!!

Linking up to:  City Farmhouse

Love Grows Wild




4 comments:

  1. REALLY amazing! I might have to have the kids try this. I don't know if ours would freeze the same though. It's "only" 19F here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melonie,
    When I worked at the preschool we blew bubbles ALL year round. :-) This was the one recipe that held up... sometimes they froze if we gave them enough time to just sit there.... so maybe, just maybe yours will too! Have fun! I hope they freeze for you, even if they do that a bit longer (I definitely still think they would freeze before deflating... just might take a bit longer which could be really cool 'cause you could see them freeze.) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peggy, I just wanted to let you know you're a 'no-reply' so I couldn't reply to your latest comment! :( I noticed you're on Google + now, I know several friends who are on it and it randomly changes that setting! Boo!!

    ReplyDelete