Thursday, January 13, 2011

Accountability

My friends I am asking for your help... What I am about to show you will NOT get me on hoarders but things have slide a bit recently. All the "projects" I was going to accomplish over Christmas break and soon after school was back in session. Well, lets just say between colds, snow, and some really good fiction... umm yeah. No progress! In fact I would say there was a decided decline. What I'm about to show you are the living areas of our home. Okay, so all the areas of our home are the living areas but I won't show you the boys' rooms. Lets just say one is crammed full right now because of LARGE musical instruments... hmm maybe I will show you their room. It really helps to bring home a point or two. A.) We have too much stuff. B.) Organization has flown out the window. and C.) the addition will come in really HANDY due to said instruments!

The Living Room





The Kitchen


The Dining Room Corner


The Master Bedroom and Walk-in Closet




(see the small amount of clothes on the hanging bar to the left... yep that sums up about a 1/3 of my wardrobe... the rest of material/decorations/craft supplies.)   The dining room table is where I "craft" because there are no extra rooms.  I could made a craft room out of my closet but it would separate me from the family plus bring on a serious case of claustrophobia!!

Now for the accountability... I am going to ask you my dear friends to help me stay on track.  Yep I want to have all of these areas cleaned up and organized.  So that means working daily on an area,  limit internet time, sort the craft supplies, and clear out the clutter.  I am not sure how I am going to go about this but it must be done!  So look for more posts... and please leave me a comment, drop me an e-mail, say something on FB, or text me if you know me personally!!!  Yep, in other words nag me when you don't see anything new up....  I am working on a posting schedule but am not sure what it will be.  Monday, Wednesday, Friday? Monday and Thursday?  What do you think?  Do you have any ideas for the closet organization?  I am trying to avoid making any purchases (or keeping them to a bare minimum especially $ wise!) so I will be using what I have on hand which is a number of baskets, buckets, storage containers, and large tins.

Thank you for following along and please leave any suggestions you might have!!  

7 comments:

  1. I'm right there with ya! The difference is. I won't show a before picture until I know I have an "after". Cause, what IF I don't DO it? :)
    Good luck, I'll be watching to make sure you keep it up!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm seeing a lot of wonderful cubbies you could use for organizing - even "in plain sight" type stuff. Those creamy bins are just gorgeous... and the basket on your desk. (BTW love the typewriter - my mom still has our manual typewriter that both she and I learned to type on. I told her the only thing I want if anything happens to her is THAT. lol)

    Anywho, you've got tons of great things to store things in, I would grab all of those first and decide what rooms you like them in best, along with what you need to store. For example, if you have crafty things that could be worked on in the family room that are current/near future projects - or things to mend - they could go in a nice basket or tote by your favorite seat. Open bins like those creamy ones are a great spot for slippers, lap blankets, etc. They look trendy but are very functional at the same time.

    I also tend to drape things like shawls/lap blankets in the corner of chairs/couch so that they are easy to grab if I get a chill or the kids want something cozy.

    You probably already do/did this, but I'd say flip through issues of Country Living and Martha at the library or online - you'll get all sorts of ideas for functional, attractive storage there too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Melonie, I discovered a whole shelf of storage containers in the closet. Go figure. Now the challenge is sorting everything! Today I went through all my fabric which took up the whole bookcase in the back of the closet, sorted through clothes, and started organizing craft supplies. I have bins which will hold all the eBay and consignment goods. Two bags of donations are ready to go out the door plus one bag of trash/recycling! Oh and I hung up some pictures (our bedroom/bath walls have been pretty bare!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all have spaces like that - it just gets really hard over the holidays. To stay on top of things I make it a point to get together at least 2 bags a month for donating - every month of the year. Too bad you don't live next door - I love organizing and would come over and help you!
    Good luck.
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  5. That makes ME happy because my house...in the same condition!! Working outside of the home, running a business, kids...stuff comes in and I rarely have time to get it all where it needs to go or better yet, out of the house. I have a goal. By summer I'll purge as much as I can. It's really hard...anybody wanna come over to my house?? My master bedroom - the worst room in the entire house. Pathetic. Anyway - you are in good company. Right there with ya and sorry - I got nothin'! No help from the organizationally challenged here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think a lot of us are dealing with this. Especially this time of year after putting up all of the Christmas stuff. You look like you have some great storage areas that will make things easier to organize.Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:39 PM

    Have you met The PlyLady? I met her a few years ago, and I'm still decluttering. I can maintain the areas that are done, and I do work on the "dungeons" about 15 minutes a day. When I feel like it, that is, and it's not December or January. My done areas are growing, and the dungeons are shrinking. Baby steps.
    Flylady dot net. There is also a "Life with FlyLady" blog, but I cannot find the link right now. I found it when I googled, so yyou might, too. Another Peggy

    ReplyDelete